7 Red Hot Tips For Making A Perfect Best Man Speech
Traditionally, the best man speech is the last speech to be given. This speech should be used to congratulate the bride and groom, provide some humorous stories about the groom and to read out cards from guests who could not attend and propose a toast to the bride and groom. There is always an expectation that the best man's speech will be humorous so don't disappoint!
Here are some tips to make sure your best man speech hits the mark:
Tip 1 - Always write the speech well in advance of the day. This gives time for you to rehearse the speech and to re-write it if neccessary.
Tip 2 - Read and re-read the speech until it starts to become second nature. As the speech is important, it needs to be delivered well and without too much hesitation.
Tip 3 - Write your speech onto small cards that you can easily carry with you. You can use these cards to prompt you during the speech.
Tip 4 - Make sure you know the names of all the family members you are going to speak about. It sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many speakers have to ask for names!
Tip 5 - Time the speech so it finishes between five and ten minutes. It's easy to carry on speaking, but it can often bore your audience. It's better to do too little than too much!
Tip 6 - When making the speech, always try and look at the audience. It's common for people to keep their head down which makes the speech less personal.
Tip 7 - Speak clearly and in your natural speaking style.
The best man speech should cover:
* Opening remarks - Welcome everyone and thank the bride and groom for the gifts that they have given to the best man (you!), the page boy(s) and the bridesmaid(s).
* Make some short comments about the groom and how the bride and groom came to meet. This is where the speech needs to be humorous!
* Make some short comments about your thoughts about the groom and how they compliment each other as a couple.
* Read out several cards from guests that could not attend the wedding.
* Finish with a toast to the health and happiness of the bride and groom.
If you follow these simple tips, your best man speech will go without a hitch. Good luck!
Web Design That Works
Building a website or need
some updates doing?
Established UK web design
company can help.
Write & Make Speeches
covers writing and making speeches.
Need Business Help?
Running a business? A business coach could really help you.
Return To The Wedding Speeches Page