Father Of The Bride Speech - How To Make This Important Speech
Traditionally, the father of the bride speech is the first speech given.
This speech should be used to speak about the love that the bride's family have for the bride and to welcome the groom into the family.
As the bride and her father traditionally have a very special relationship, it makes this speech even more important.
Here are some tips to make sure your father of the bride speech hits the mark:
Tip 1 - Always write the speech well in advance of the day. This gives time for you to rehearse the speech and to re-write it if neccessary.
Tip 2 - Read and re-read the speech until it starts to become second nature. As the speech is important, it needs to be delivered well and without too much hesitation.
Tip 3 - Write your speech onto small cards that you can easily carry with you. You can use these cards to prompt you during the speech.
Tip 4 - Make sure you know the names of all the family members you are going to speak about. It sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many speakers have to ask for names!
Tip 5 - Time the speech so it finishes between five and ten minutes. It's easy to carry on speaking, but it can often bore your audience. It's better to do too little than too much!
TTip 6 - When making the speech, always try and look at the audience. It's common for people to keep their head down which makes the speech less personal.
Tip 7 - Speak clearly and in your natural speaking style.
The father of the bride speech should cover:
* Opening remarks - Welcome everyone and thank them for coming. Comment on how nice the day has been so far.
* Make some short comments about the bride and how much she is loved by her family.
* You could comment or relay a story about when she was growing up.
* Welcome the groom into the family.
* Make some short comments about your thoughts about the groom and how they compliment each other as a couple.
* Finish with a toast to the health and happiness of the bride and groom.
If you follow these simple tips, your father of the bride speech will go without a hitch. Good luck!
Search the web for more 'father of the bride speech':
Return To The Wedding Speeches Page